Two days ago, I purchased an iPod nano (2nd Generation). I bought the 8GB black model. With the exception of the point that I didn’t really have the money (thank you BestBuy Rewards Card), I justified my decision this way:
- My 4GB iPod Mini is probably worth $50-75 used. It is still under warranty until July 2007 and has never had an issue. A college roommate is interested in buying it.
- I had a $10 gift certificate at BestBuy.
- Combine those two, I will be able to knock roughly $60-85 off the $249 I paid for the nano. So instead of $249, I could end up paying $164 for an 8GB color iPod Nano.
- I really wanted to get the Nike+iPod kit so I can keep track of my running progress. Running is something I really want to get into (I ran a 5K in August) and this seems like the perfect thing for me. I could see myself getting into some running challenges with friends.
- The best thing is I wanted a music player that was extremely thin, light, and with a color screen. The iPod nano has all of this covered.
- 8 GB of space gives me a lot more flexibility with my music collection. I have several smart playlists syncing with it, keeping fresh music on the iPod without me even thinking twice. It also allows me to experiment with photo syncing.
My review of the 8GB iPod nano? Fantastic device. I can’t believe how light it is (my cell phone is heavier). I am almost afraid of putting it in my pocket and running it through the washer machine by accident.
The nano sounds fantastic, works flawlessly, and has some really nice features that I could see myself using. I thought the ability to put photos on it would be a gimmick, but I have set it up to sync with iPhoto and automatically download my latest roll of pictures. So I can show someone at work a place I went to the other day, without worrying about uploading the pictures to the web beforehand.
Also this iPod is extremely rugged. I won’t have to worry about it scratching or getting banged up. In theory, a flash player will last much longer as well.
I plan on writing up a review on the Nike+iPod kit when I buy it. I will probably get it in a few weeks.