I freely admit that I soak up any Apple related news and I cannot wait to see what is in store tomorrow for what is rumored to be the big Apple tablet unveiling. Here is my predictions:
iPhone OS 3.2 released
Not sure what exactly would be in this update to tell the truth. The iPhone really needs a a revamped notification system. Perhaps with the introduction of the tablet maybe Apple will include an e-book app that automatically syncs with your e-book purchases, like the Kindle iPhone app does for Kindle Store purchases? Only obvious improvement to me worthy of a minor version increase, although I am sure there will be a bunch of small improvements they will throw in.
iLife & iWork ’10 released
Apple seems to do iLife & iWork releases every year or two in January, so this could be one of those years. The big obvious upgrade we have been waiting for is 64-bit support. It would be interesting if they actually made iWork.com useful (meaning editing files too) outside of viewing files you put up there.
Additional U.S. Carrier(s) for the iPhone (at least T-Mobile in the next few months, Verizon in summer)
Rumors have been going around crazy that AT&T exclusive contract for the iPhone ends in 2010. Some rumors say it even ends tomorrow (1/27/2010). Given that the iPhone is currently only GSM 3G, I think the most obvious new carrier is T-Mobile if any new carriers are announced tomorrow. A long shot is an announcement about Verizon getting the iPhone in the summer, but I don’t think that will be announced this far in advance.
The Apple Tablet (I love the name Apple Canvas, but I am guessing they will go with iPad or iSlate)
- 10 inch “Tablet” device running a new version (4.0?) of the iPhone OS announced, for sale in March.
- OLED Screen, incredibly thin
- Wireless-N connection built-in
- 3G Wireless that can be used either by subscription or content purchases will include the bandwidth costs. That way impulse book, movie, tv, and song purchases can be made anywhere, subscription or not.
- Fully functional communication device (e-mail, web browser, apps, etc).
- Built-in multitasking (iPhone OS 4.0 in action)
- Tons of e-books, movies/TV content, music, etc.
- Wireless syncing thanks to Wireless-N, no ports outside of power port, includes MobileMe subscription
Only way to find out: watch tomorrow!
Edit: Expanded on my original predictions.