Tonight my wife and I decided that by the end of the Stanley Cup playoffs (roughly a week or so from now), we are going to turn in our Cable TV boxes and go Cable TV free as an experiment this summer.
Why we are doing this:
- It is the summer, let’s get out and enjoy it instead of sitting in a chair being zombies.
- Online options (Netflix, iTunes, and similar services) are now very viable options for when we want to watch TV.
- The only time we watch TV is for local news & sports. Here is the kicker though…we rarely watch the sports, we just listen to it while doing other things. Use the radio for that, much cheaper.
- We want to do more reading, work on our condo, and hopefully be moving into a house this summer. The last thing we need to do is be distracted by whatever is on the Food Network.
- Of course the big part, our cable bill will be significantly cheaper. An early estimate is a reduction of half our current bill.
The only thing I will miss is the sports game that I WANT to sit down and completely focus on. Like a Red Sox/Yankees game. But maybe in this rare cases I will go to a family or friend’s house, a local bar, or just listen to it the old fashioned way as well.